Ku Interior Design’s (KUID) standard 15-step design process already has limited in-person Designer/Client interaction. The 15 steps are listed below. During normal circumstances, underlined steps are in-person at the jobsite.
Project Initiation Phase: both steps happen at the 2-hour paid consultation, one meeting
STEP 1 Consultation: with Michelle Ku (Designer)
STEP 2 Contract, Retainer, & Project Commencement
Research, Design, Presentation Phase:
STEP 3 Trade Day: on-site measurements, photos, and final criteria meeting
STEP 4 Design & Documentation: execution of drawings, sourcing goods and services, procuring estimates
STEP 5 Presentation: visual display of furnishings and materials; presentation of estimates and collection of deposit
Project Management Phase
STEP 6 Order Placement: assessment of delivery lead-times
STEP 7 Budget & Progress Review
STEP 8 Initiation of Construction and Renovation
STEP 9 Installation Period: and orders are received
STEP 10 Furniture Installation & Styling
STEP 11 Client Reveal
STEP 12 Deficiencies: identified
STEP 13 Deficiencies: resolved
STEP 14 Project Closure Meeting: presentation of final invoices
STEP 15 Thank You & Project Completion: presentation of digital client binder
STEPS 1 & 2 – can be done virtually for all packages. If the client is comfortable meeting in person, all parties wear masks and to protect any surfaces Designer touches, she wears gloves.
STEP 3 – depending on the project, this step could involve many different people being in the home (plumbers, electricians, painters, etc.), at a minimum, three. COVID-19 modifications are:
- Renew DIY and Revitalize 1-Room packages
- If the Client prefers virtual meetings and is willing to do their own photographing and measuring, KUID will offer a discount of $125.00 off the $500.00 2-hour consultation fee and the consultation will be 1.5 hours.
- If Client is comfortable meeting in person, all parties wear masks and Designer wears gloves, no discounts. Typically, KUID has 1-2 assistants to take photos and measure while designer meets with Client. During this time, only Designer will attend the meeting.
- Reinvent Your Space Package – Designer will need to have an onsite meeting with all appropriate trades. To eliminate virus exposure:
- Designer requests Client plans to be away for the day, or days (due to procedures, process could be extended)
- KUID’s team will be required to wear masks
- Trades will be scheduled 1-at-a-time, w/ 30-minute intervals between them, and will be required to wear masks
- Hand sanitizer will be provided by KUID for all parties at jobsite
- Optional (up to Client) – 30 minutes after completion Client can arrange to have their house cleaners come to thoroughly clean the premises or KUID will provide a cleaning service at Client’s expense.
- Final criteria will be reviewed virtually.
STEP 5 –can be done virtually for all packages. All items (drawings, photos, finish/fabric samples) to be reviewed will be dropped off at the jobsite (left on the front porch, in lobby, etc.) prior to a virtual meeting where all materials will be discussed in detail.
STEP 10 – under any circumstance Client is requested to be away from the jobsite. This process will work just like STEP 3 and final cleanup is already included.
STEP 11 & 12 – KUID’s team and Client, all wear masks; KUID’s team wears gloves. The final, installed project is revealed to the client (room-by-room), styling products and price list are reviewed, and any deficiencies are pointed out to the Client. Client is thanked and presented a small gift and the KUID team leaves after scheduling a time to return for any styling items the Client would like to return.
STEP 13 – this step could require multiple trades to return to complete punch list items. Trades will be required to wear masks and gloves, if possible. If work cannot be completed with gloves, trades will use hand sanitizer and disinfect all they have touched before leaving.
- KUID precautions:
- Each KUID team member will be limiting their time outside the home to two times per week. Those two times include Client meetings and trips to Vendors. Because Vendor visits will be limited, STEP 4 could be extended by several weeks.
- Team member’s temperatures will be taken before Client/Vendor meetings. Clients are requested to do the same.
- Any KUID team member or Client that thinks they may have been exposed to COVID-19 or is experiencing symptoms will self-quarantine for 14 days and inform everyone with which they have had contact. For any Clients in this situation, please let KUID know how we can assist you during your quarantine.
- My vendors are also implementing precautions:
- Masks are required
- Meetings are by appointment only with social distancing or limitations to occupancy of premises